Wednesday, February 26, 2014

10 points per standard on SBG

This change seems to be working out for me.  I was using a 4/4 scale which went to 5/5 when the student has received two 4/4's.  I changed to 9/9 which goes to 10/10 with two 9/9's.  I think this is working, I like being able to grade with more detail on what I take points off for.  I think the pure way to do SBG is that four points lets you know levels like "no skill", "some skill" "proficient" and "mastered", but I'm doing a hybrid set up where the average of the SBG grade counts for 70% of a regular, old numerical report card grade and I think 10 points per standard works better in that system.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a system that works for you. I score assessments using a hybrid of SBG but I don't officially take points off. I look at each level 2, 3, and 4 problem to determine it's correctness, a few simple mistakes (high partial credit) would earn a score of 3.5, which is equivalent to 95%, or 9.5 points. My conversion chart looks like this: Level 1: 50%, Level 1.5: 60% Level 2: 70%, Level 2.5: 80%, Level 3: 90%, Level 3.5: 95%, Level 4: 100%. Each assessment is worth 10 points and is 95% of the grade. Instead of points off, it's the level of correctness that determines whether the student earns a 2.5 rather than a 3, a 2.0 rather than a 2.5, etc. This hybrid approach may be considered a form of holistic grading, but if a student questions the grade, I just say, "Consider it temporary. You can always retake to demonstrate mastery."

    ReplyDelete